[R] labels in lattice

matteo m.dossena at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 17:43:59 CET 2011

Dear all,

here is a simple problem that surely you already come across, but is giving
me a big headache...

I have a dataframe like this:

set.seed(3)
mydata <- data.frame(var = rnorm(100,20,1),
                     temp = sin(sort(rep(c(1:10),10))),
                     subj = as.factor(rep(c(1:10),5)))

and I need to make a scatter plot for each subj, not a problem, but...
what i want is to replace the strips from the lattice and add a label to
each plot.
I manage to do this with the following code, but I'm still not happy...

xyplot(var ~ temp | subj,
       data = mydata,
       strip=FALSE,
       panel = function(x, y,...) {
               panel.xyplot(x, y,...)
               panel.text(1,21,labels=which.packet())
               })

The last bit...where i got stacked...is how to print letters instead of
numbers in each panel. I would like to call the panels a,b,c... and so on.

Any suggestions...
Many thanks
matteo