[R] how to manually enter an double quote as data feed?

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Wed Dec 14 00:58:10 CET 2011

Bonnie,

The backslach character in not actually there.  Since the double quote character has special meaning in R, it needs to be 'escaped' to change its special meaning to become a literal double quote character.  That is the function of the \ escape character.

Try the following

s1 <- '"'  #assign as you did
s2 <- "\"" #assign using escape character

s1         #displays with backslash
nchar(s1)  #but there is only 1 character in the string
s2
nchar(s2)

print(s1)  #prints backslash indicating literal double quote
cat(s1,'\n') #cat function displays without the backslash
             #notice n character is escaped, creating a newline character

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204