[R] Problem with package compilation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:50:41 CET 2011

On 11-12-13 5:16 AM, Ronaldo Reis Júnior wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a R package with some functions made all of then only with R
> code. I use the command R CMD build to build a package that I can
> install on linux, windows or mac, because all the code is only R code.
> But I have some problems with R version. For each new R version I need
> to rebuild the package to be install in this new version. It is possible
> to make a package without this R Version dependence? I know that in a
> little cases I need to adapt my package when R change some of this basic
> functions, but it is very rare.
>
> Any idea? Is only a tag to put on my package? Or this is the correct
> way, maintain the R version dependence?

In most cases a tarball built with an older version of R will be usable
in a newer version without any problem.

Older versions may not be able to handle a tarball from a newer version,
but I can't remember the last time we made changes big enough for that
to happen.

Perhaps you are doing a binary build (e.g. a .zip file in Windows)?
Those are tied to specific versions; the source builds generally are not.

Duncan Murdoch