[R] Titelpage pdf-manual, packaging

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 11 14:14:06 CET 2011

On 11/12/2011 12:34, Johannes Radinger wrote:

> Am 10.12.2011 um 16:50 schrieb Uwe Ligges:
>

>> On 09.12.2011 14:15, Johannes Radinger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get write my first own package.
>>> I followed the instructions in "Creating R Packages: A Tutorial"
>>> and "Writing R Extensions". So far everything works really
>>> fine, the script works and even the man-pages don't show
>>> any problems during the check process.
>>>
>>> During "check" there is also the package-manual.pdf created.
>>> When I compare my manual to those at the CRAN rep, i looks different:
>>> I seems the other manuals have a kind of "titlepage" and even the
>>> document title is different (package 'xxx' vs. R documentation
>>> of ‘/Users/...’ etc.).
>>>
>>> Is that behavior simply a matter of being published at CRAN and mine is just
>>> a local package for myself? Or do I miss a man-page which is responsible for
>>> that first page and the title?
>>
>> Which R version are you using?
>>

>> I typically get "package 'xxx'" when running R CMD check but "R documentation of ‘...’ " when runnign R CMD Rd2pdf on some Rd files with R-release.
>>

> Hi, I am using R 2.14.0, so I don't know what is the reason for that behavior...

And nor can we without the reproducible example requested at the foot of
this and every R-help message.

But one quick point: the way to make a package manual is

R CMD Rd2pdf <top package source directory>

and 'R CMD check' is not intended to be the way to produce that manual,
merely a way to check that CRAN could produce it.  Most likely there is
diagnostic information in the R CMD check output, but we aren't being
shown it ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk