[R] incomplete final line found warning

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 11 10:03:27 CET 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Xiaobo Gu wrote:

without following the posting guide in several respects and hence
leaving us guessing ....

>> Hi,
>>
>> I saved the following as a UTF-8 encoded file named amberutil.r

BTW, it is hard to know how you know that ASCII is encoded as UTF-8,
and on Windows (which from the file path it appears to be) it would
not have worked had it been UTF-8 encoded.  Let's hope this did not
mean what Windows calls 'Unicode', that is UTF-16LE.

>> as.factor.loop <- function(df, cols){
>>
>> 	if (!is.null(df) && !is.null(cols) && length(cols) > 0)
>> 	{
>> 		for(col in cols)
>>   {
>> 			df[[col]] <- as.factor(df[[col]])
>> 		}
>> 	}
>> df
>> }
>>
>> And got this warning message,
>>
>>> source('D:/ambertuil.r')
>> Warning message:
>> In readLines(file) : incomplete final line found on 'D:/ambertuil.r'
>>
>> Can you help with this?
>
> Help with what? You got a warning. And it had information that should tell
> you how to edit the file if the warning bothers you.

Also, we were not told the version of R.  Updating (as requested by
the posting guide prior to posting) would most likely remove the
harmless warning (AFAIK it occurs only in 2.14.0 and not in
R-patched) if this were an ASCII file.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk