[R] Help with the Mice Function

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 22:47:07 CET 2011

Richard J. Buning <rbuning <at> ufl.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to impute my data for missing values using the mice
> function. However every time I run the function it freezes or lags.
>
> I have tried running it over night, and it still does not finish. I am
> working with 17000 observations across 32 variables.
>
> here is my code:
>
> imputed.data = mice(data,
> + m = 1, + diagnostics = F)

  Not reproducible ... ?

  Have you tried scaling back the problem and seeing if it works
reasonably with smaller data sets?  Can you extrapolate from several
smaller data sets how long you think it will take?  If you can convince
yourself that it will finish in a few days, and you think you only
have to do it once, you might just bite the bullet and let it run.

  Someone who knows a lot more than I do about imputation and
its computational difficulty might chime in if you provide a reproducible
example.