[R] gam, what is the function(s)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 16:39:10 CET 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Ben quant wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to understand 'what' is predicting the response for
> library(mgcv)
> gam?
>
> For example:
>
> library(mgcv)
> fit <- gam(y~s(x),data=as.data.frame(l_yx),family=binomial)
> xx <- seq(min(l_yx[,2]),max(l_yx[,2]),len=101)
> plot(xx,predict(fit,data.frame(x=xx),type="response"),type="l")
>
> I want to see the generalized function(s) used to predict the
> response that
> is plotted above. In other words, f(x) = {[what?]}. I'm new to gam and
> relatively new to R. I did read ?gam, but I didn't see what I wanted.

If you are using the help pages to teach yourself about a package you
cannot stop at just reading what you might think to be the core
function's help page. You need to follow the links that are at the
bottom of that page just before the examples. In this case you clearly
need to read gamObject and mgcv-package.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT