[R] bwplot title size

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Fri Dec 9 13:16:08 CET 2011

Check the Intro page for Lattice and note the bit that says 'In particular, changing par() settings usually has no effect on Lattice plots'

By and large, lattice uses things like cex inside a list of options and only in a few cases (when passed to panel.bwplot) does it use what look like traditional graphics parameters directly.

To change title font details (and indeed many other settings) you need to change things using trellis.par.set or provide a list of settings in the par.settings argument to the top-level function. Example for your problem:

  Depth <- equal.count(quakes$depth, number=8, overlap=.1)
  xyplot(lat ~ long | Depth, data = quakes, main='Earthquakes', par.settings=list(par.main.text=list(cex=2)))

S Ellison