[R] Error using function MVN in package MCLUST: Fortran symbol name not in DLL for package

Natalie Franklin N.J.Franklin at pgr.reading.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 10:01:49 CET 2011

Hi All,

I need to fit a mutlivariate normal model to a dataset in order to obtain the mean and covariance parameters. I see that the MVN function in the MCLUST package can do this, however when I try to run even the simplest example provided in the documentation, as below, I get the following error:

n <- 1000
set.seed(0)
x <- rnorm(n, mean = -1, sd = 2)
mvn(modelName = "X", x)

Error in .Fortran("mvn1d", as.double(data), as.integer(n), double(1),  :
  Fortran symbol name "mvn1d" not in DLL for package "mclust"

I cannot see a resolution to this in the list, and wonder whether I need to load something else separately to the package? Could it be that I need to load a separate DLL?

Many thanks for your help.
Natalie

(PhD Student in Medical Statistics at Reading University)