[R] Representation of scientific units

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 16:57:17 CET 2011

On Dec 8, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> Has anyone got a neat way in R to handle scientific units along with
> numeric
> vectors?

Not really. There is limited support for conversions as well. I have
wondered about this after addressing a similar question on Stack
Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7214781/converting-units-in-r/7215430#7215430

>  e.g. in mathematica, there is a Units package to allow you to
> do the following:
>
>    85 Meter/Second * 10 Second
>
> answer: 850 Meter

As a program that was originally design to symbolic algebra it is not
surprising to find such methods in Mathematica. I have looked around
for examples of implementations in other languages and have found them
in LisP and in PERL

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/novak/units.html

http://search.cpan.org/~klortho/Physics-Unit-0.04/lib/Physics/Unit.pm

--