[R] configuring a package for own personal needs

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 01:29:42 CET 2011

Where is it spitting out the new-line to?  Can you just capture the
output and then remove the last new-line; easier than rewriting the
function.  Here is one way of doing it:

> f.x <- function()cat('this is\n\n output\n with\n an extra linefeed at the end\n\n')
> f.x()  # has the extra line-feed
this is

 output
 with
 an extra linefeed at the end

> x <- capture.output(f.x())  # capture the output
> # print it
> cat(x, sep = '\n')
this is

 output
 with
 an extra linefeed at the end

> # remove the extra linefeed at the end
> cat(head(x, -1), sep = '\n')  # now it is gone
this is

 output
 with
 an extra linefeed at the end