[R] help! "browser()" does not get stopped...

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:21:13 CET 2011

On 06/12/2011 1:17 PM, Michael wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
>
> What I was wondering is:
>
> if we use "find", are the results for locally installed packages, or
> "search_paths", or the functions that are loaded into memory?

It finds what get() would find, so that starts with the current
evaluation frame, and follows the chain back to the base environment.
If you haven't used library() or require() to load a package, it won't
be found.

 > I am looking for some command to tell me which functions are currently in

> the memory.

ls() will do that for the current evaluation frame.  See its args if you
want to search back through the chain.

> My understanding is that after the first-run of a function, the function is
> loaded into memory and stays there until being unloaded.

That's true, but not relevant.  If it hasn't been loaded, a stub is
there, and find() will see the stub.
> If I don't unload the function, then any newly edited version will not be
> loaded and the one in memory is the stale version...

That's not true.  As soon as you assign a new value to the name, it will
be replaced.  But you need to do the assignment in the right place in
the chain.

Duncan Murdoch