[R] axis thickness in plot()

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Tue Dec 6 18:44:03 CET 2011

On 2011-12-06 08:35, AlexC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to increase the thickness of the axis in plot() without
> reverting to the use of paint programs
>
> i see posts on that topic for the xyplot function but want to see if i can
> do it with plot() because i've already setup my graph script using that
>
> i thought i could use axis() function and specify lwd="thickness" or
> lwd.axis= but that does not work like it does for lwd.ticks
>
> If anyone has an idea, sincerely
>
> heres the script
>
> windows(width=7,height=7)
> plot(data$Winter,data$NbFirstBroods,ylab="number of breeding
> pairs",xlab="winter
> harshness",cex=1.5,cex.lab=1.5,cex.axis=1.5,font.axis=2,axes=FALSE)
> points(data$Winter,data$NbFirstBroods,cex=1.5,col="black",pch=19)
> abline(lm(data$NbFirstBroods~data$Winter),col="red",lwd=4)

Only you have the object you call 'data'. Why not provide a
simple example (reproducible and minus the obviously unnecessary
annotation) that illustrates your problem?

> i tried axis(1, lwd.axis = 3,lwd.ticks=3) for example

Presumably this gave a warning: "lwd.axis" is not a graphical parameter.
The best thing at that point (if not sooner), is to type ?axis to
see what the arguments for that function are. This would immediately
show that 'lwd' is the argument you want.

> also when adding the y axis axis(2...) x and y axes are disconnected

Use box() with your choice of bty and lwd. If you want different
linewidths for the x and y axes, then retrieve the coordinates of
par("usr") and use either abline() or lines().

Peter Ehlers