[R] spatial analysis

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 6 03:06:39 CET 2011

On 06/12/11 01:44, Marianne.ZEYRINGER at ec.europa.eu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a PhD student in energy modelling. I am completely stuck with the
> following problem and would be very grateful for any kind of help.
> I have cells
     Don't we all?  We're made of them. :-)

     What do you mean by ``I have''?  I.e. be a bit more explicit about
     the nature of your data.
> and each cell is assigned a number. I would like to form
> clusters of cells where the sum of the cell numbers in each cluster must
> not exceed 250. One restriction is that only neighbouring cells
     Define "neighbouring".
> can be
> formed into clusters. In the end I would like to have a list with all
> possible cell combinations.
     Do you mean all possible ways in which your ``collection of cells''
     can be subdivided into such clusters?  My guess is that the number
     of such ways could be extremely large.  (Depending of course on
     how many cells there are in the collection.)
> Is it possible to do this with R If yes, I would very much appreciate
> all possible hints how to solve it.
     Install the "fortunes" package.  Then type

         fortune("Yoda")

     But if you want useful help you'll have to make your question much
     clearer.

         cheers,

             Rolf Turner