[R] Partitioning Around Mediods then rpart to follow - is this sensible

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Fri Dec 2 18:39:21 CET 2011

The problem:  There are no a priori groupings to run a classification on

My solution:

This is a non-R code question, so I appreciate any thoughts.  I have
used pam in the cluster package proceeded by sillohouette to find the
optimum number of clusters on scaled and centered data.  I have followed
this by a classification tree analysis with rpart to discern which
variables drive the clustering on the original data.  Is this a sensible
approach?
many thanks,

Stephen Sefick