[R] Resampling with replacement on a binary (0, 1) dataset to get Cis

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 15:22:05 CET 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 3:55 AM, lincoln wrote:

> Thanks.
> Anyway, it is not homework and I was not told to do that. My
> question has
> not been answered yet, I'll try to reformulate it:
> Does it make (statistical) sense to resample with replacement in this
> situation to get an estimate of the CIs? In case it does, how could
> I do it
> in R?

> Some further details on my real case study:
> 10 independent samples from a population in ten sessions. Each sample
> consists of a number (somehow variable) of random individuals that are
> classified as 0 or 1 depending on one specific state (presence or
> absence of
> a disease).
> I can calculate, for each session, the percentage of individuals
> diseased
> but I have nothing about the CIs, any suggestion?

I do not see much advantage to using resampling in this instance. The
variance of a proportion is not theoretically complicated and you have
introduced no further complicating factors that would call into
question the validity of the estimates you would get from prop.test.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT