[R] FIML with missing data in sem package

yrosseel yrosseel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:56:00 CET 2011

On 12/01/2011 05:25 PM, Dustin Fife wrote:

>> What is your goal?  I have used and like mice pretty well, but using
>> mice + sem to try to address missingness seems like more work than
>> using FIML in OpenMx or lavaan to try to address it.  Is there a
>> reason you want to use the sem package or a reason you do not want to
>> use the others?
>>
>> I tried lavaan and couldn't get it to work. I noticed it was in beta so I
> figured it wasn't a good idea to use for simulations I intend to publish
> (especially when I can't get them to work properly). Either way, whether I
> use OpenMX or lavaan, it will require me to learn a new syntax, and I guess
> I'm just lazy. I'm comfortable with sem.

The 'beta' status of lavaan implies that things (eg function arguments)
may change from one version to another, until most planned features are
implemented. However, the computations/results themselves are pretty
stable. Many SEM reseachers do use lavaan today for simulation studies,
and some have been published already. I can provide you with some
references off-list if you are interested.

Yves Rosseel.
http://lavaan.org