[R] How to speed up int2bin conversion?

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:46:39 CET 2011

If we assume that you are just convert 8 bits, here is one way with a
table lookup.  If more than 8 bits, just partition the data and
repeat.  This sets up a mapping table one time for the lookup.  Does
1M in 0.3 seconds on my computer; is this fast enough?

> # initialize a matrix with 8 bit binary values
> # one time
> require(bitops)
> b2c <- character(256)
> for (i in 0:255){
+     b2c[i + 1] <- sprintf("%1d%1d%1d%1d%1d%1d%1d%1d"
+         , bitAnd(i, 0x80) != 0
+         , bitAnd(i, 0x40) != 0
+         , bitAnd(i, 0x20) != 0
+         , bitAnd(i, 0x10) != 0