[R] ordinal data simulation

yuying shi leavestonebodt at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 08:06:41 CET 2011

Dear all,
   I am doing an ordinal data simulation. I have a question regarding the cut off values between categories. Suppose I have three categories, if I do regression, there should be two cut off values. I find some simulation code for the ordinal data. However, they usually only generate a uniform random number and compare the probability with the random number. Could any one be so kind to tell me the rational behind it. I don't know why we need a random number rather than  just  two fixed cut off values.

Thanks very much!
Myckel