[R] eRm/raschsampler error message

Scott ncbi2r at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:30:13 CEST 2011

I'm not familiar with eRm but subscript out of bounds often occurs when the
data isn't the structure you think it is. Perhaps your input is not what is
expected - might not be as long/wide as required. Depending on how allb is
stored, you might be flipping rows/columns around? try checking the
dimensions of the object with dim(objname) and view the top part of the data
to see if the people and objects are correctly oriented.

objname[1:10,1:10]

Do you get the error still if you reduce the data set to something smaller?
I'd leave the people at 248 and reduce the items - so you can have many
counts of each item. If so, it might be worth posting a sample of the allb
data so people here can see what is happening. Try reducing the data
gradually until you get to small example that still causes the problem. I'd
initially leave the people at 248 and reduce the items - so we can have many
counts of each item.  Then once you reduce the number of objects, if you're
still getting the errors, then try reducing the people down to a reasonable
number and then take a look at the data you've got and see if it really
makes sense to you. Then consider posting here the data so we can see what's
happening. Without the actual numbers you're putting in to the equations,
it's hard for me at least to tell what's happening.