[R] X11 problem

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 25 14:34:09 CEST 2011

On 08/25/2011 08:27 AM, carol white wrote:
> Hello,
> TO update R under Ubuntu on my macchine, I downloaded R-2.13.1. When running ./configure, I got the following error message:
>
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available
>

> But I could use X11() function in R-2-10. So where does the problem come from?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carol

It looks like you're compiling from source and your system does not have
the header files required installed.  Did you compile your previous
version or use a pre-built (binary) package?  A binary package would not
require the headers.

I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know what the name of packages you need
for the headers.  Typically the packages have the devel versions
separate, you you need those.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)