[R] ddply from plyr package - any alternatives?

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Thu Aug 25 09:27:39 CEST 2011

 Hi Adam,

A recent thread on R-help deals exactly with your problem. In one of the
ave and data.table) [1]. The test in the e-mail shows that for large
amounts of unique categories, ddply is quite slow. Hadley (Wickham,
author of ddply) remarked in reply to a question on the plyr mailing
list that this was due to how ddply was setup [2]. So in your case I
would definitely take a look at data.table, which is probably much
faster. If that does not work, take a look at ave which is also quite a
bit faster for your problem.

cheers,
Paul

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@r-project.org/msg142797.html