[R] how to compare two dataset with same sampling

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Aug 25 04:12:35 CEST 2011

merge() can align the values in the obs columns
so those with the same date can be compared.  E.g.,
set up the data with the following copy-and-pastable
code:

A <- read.table(header=TRUE, textConnection(" year  mon  day  obs
 2010 03     12    12
 2010 03     18    22
 2010 04     12    62
 2010 07      24   29
"))
B <- read.table(header=TRUE, textConnection("year  mon  day  obs
 2010 03     12    15
 2010 04     12    57
 2010 07     24    32
 2010 08     23    15
"))
AB <- merge(A, B, by=c("year", "mon", "day"), suffixes=c("A","B"))

and you can use AB to do comparisons:

> AB
  year mon day obsA obsB
1 2010   3  12   12   15