[R] Autocorrelation using library(tseries)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 11:08:11 CEST 2011

Your understanding is wrong.  For a start, there is no function acf()
in package tseries: it is in stats.

And the autocorrelation at lag one is not the correlation omitting the
first and last values: it uses the mean and variance estimated from
the whole series and divisor n.

Have you looked at the reference given on ?acf ?  As the help says

      (This contains the exact definitions used.)

Neither the R help pages nor R-help are intended as tutorials in
statistics.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Vincy Pyne wrote:

> Dear R list
>
> I am trying to understand the auto-correlation concept.
> Auto-correlation is the self-correlation of random variable X with a
> certain time lag of say t.
>
> The article
> "http://www.mit.tut.fi/MIT-3010/luentokalvot/lk10-11/MDA_lecture16_11.pdf"
> (Page no. 9 and 10) gives the methodology as under.

But that is not the definitive reference, and no, it doesn't (and what
it does give is not the conventional definition in the time series
literature).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk