[R] Mapping strings to integers

Ali.Abbas m.ali.abbas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:54:56 CEST 2011

Dear All,
I am quite a newbie to R. Trying to learn it these days. Sorry for asking
such a basic question, but could you kindly tell me how to map unique string
values to integers in a data frame? I have a graph which has, most of its,
vertices' attributes in a string format. I would like to replace them with
ascending integers. For example, first unique value in column 1 changes to
"0". I'd like to have it so that I could use my computer's resources
efficiently and also could easily perform statistical measures on it. I am
looking for a two way mapping, so that, after analysis, I could see
meaningful results in terms of the same but in reverse order mappings. Hope
I was clear in my question.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ali