[R] Comparison of means in survey package

Simon Kiss sjkiss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:25:33 CEST 2011

Dear list colleagues,
I'm trying to come up with a test question for undergraduates to illustrate comparison of means from a complex survey design. The data for the example looks roughly like this:

mytest<-data.frame(harper=rnorm(500, mean=60, sd=1), party=sample(c("BQ", "NDP", "Conservative", "Liberal", "None", NA), size=500, replace=TRUE), natwgt=sample(c(0.88, 0.99, 1.43, 1.22, 1.1), size=500, replace=TRUE), gender=sample(c("Male", "Female"), size=500, replace=TRUE))

Using svyby I can get the means for each group of interest (primarily the party variable), but I can't get further to actually do the comparison of means.  I saw a reference on the help listserv to the effect that the survey package does not do ttests and that one should use svyglm.  However, that was in 2009 and I see that there's a command, svytteset in the package which seems to be on point.  However, when I've tried that command I can't get it to work: it returns the following error message:

t = NaN, df = 3255, p-value = NA
alternative hypothesis: true difference in mean is not equal to 0
sample estimates:
difference in mean
          38.80387

This is from my data, not the code above.  Would there also be a way just to do the comparison of means test between two subgroups of a factor, and not just on all factor levels?

Using 2.13 on mac os 10.6 and the latest version of survey package.

Yours, Simon Kiss

Simon J. Kiss, PhD
Assistant Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
73 George Street
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
N3T 2C9
Cell: +1 905 746 7606