[R] questions about "metafor" package

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Aug 17 19:37:32 CEST 2011

Dear Emilie,

Regarding your questions:

1) It's not the weighting that is the main issue when you do not have the SDs. The problem is that you need the SDs to calculate the sampling variances of the mean differences (I assume that this is your outcome measure for the meta-analysis). Those are needed to calculate the standard errors of the model coefficients.

There are two possible routes to take. The first would be to try your hardest to get your hands on as many of the missing SDs as possible. Whatever is left missing could be imputed, using a sensible range of values and checking for the robustness of the findings.

The other approach would be to choose some other weights (e.g., sample size weights), then fit the model by WLS, and then estimate the standard errors of the model coefficients using a robust method (e.g., using a "sandwich" estimator).

2) Difficult to say. I haven’t had a chance to read this article, but this will probably tell you more:

Ishak, K. J., Platt, R. W., Joseph, L., & Hanley, J. A. (2008). Impact of approximating or ignoring within-study covariances in multivariate meta-analyses. Statistics in Medicine, 27(5), 670-686.

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology