[R] recode Variable in dependence of values of two other variables

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:49:22 CEST 2011

Hi:

Here are several equivalent ways to produce your desired output:

# Base package: transform()

df <- transform(df, mean = ave(x, id, FUN = mean))

# plyr package
library('plyr')
ddply(df, .(id), transform, mean = mean(x))

# data.table package
library('data.table')
dt <- data.table(df, key = 'id')
dt[, list(x, mean = mean(x)), by = 'id']

# doBy package
library('doBy')
transformBy(~ id, data = df, mean = mean(x))

HTH,
Dennis