[R] plotrix update

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 11 09:54:43 CEST 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Jesse Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Rolf Turner <rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 11/08/11 13:19, Jesse Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> I've run across what I think is a small bug in the plotrix package.
>>> I've tried to contact the maintainer (Jim Lemon) directly but email is
>>> returned 'undeliverable' at the provided address.
>>> What is the best method to push a patch to a CRAN package in this case?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>
>> Jim posted to r-help as recently as 9 August 2011, using the email
>> address that is given by maintainer("plotrix").
>>
>> Are you sure you didn't somehow mis-specify the address?
>>
>>    cheers,
>>
>>        Rolf Turner
>>

> No. In fact I tried twice. I've sent yet another to that address this
> evening. If that fails I will post something to this list (it is a
> minimal change).

There really is no point in doing that.  Only the maintainer can
change a package and submit an update, with three exceptions:

(1) CRAN is convinced that the maintainer has disappeared when the
package would be orphaned/archived.  That is not done lightly, and we
have often managed to track down maintainers who have moved without
informing CRAN.

(2) There is written confirmation from both parties of a switch in
maintainer.

(3) The CRAN team do put up NMUs (non-maintainer updates) that are
urgently needed to keep things working (usually only after a
non-response from the maintainer).

> I had no idea about the maintainer() function - very useful to know (I
> was using the CRAN web page)

Which is likely to be more accurate, since it is taken directly from
the latest version of the package.