[R] Dichotomous variables

marco marco.milella at aim.uzh.ch
Sun Aug 7 11:47:53 CEST 2011

Hi Sarah,
sorry for the lack of details..hope now my dilemma will be clearer:
so, I have my dataset, represented by a matrix:100 subjects and 20
variables, expressed as 1(presence) and 0 (absence)
I then tried to obtain a dissimilarity m. using the jaccard() command.
To perform a NMDS, I used the isoMDS() command from the vegan package,
specifying k=2 dimensions.

The returned error sentence says that I have "0 or negative" distance
between some subjects (and that's true, a lot have an identical expression
of each variable).

adding zerodist="ignore" in isoMDS does not solve the problem: same message.

So: this is the blind alley.

thanks for any feedback

marco