[R] rJava on Debian squeeze (or other versions of Linux)?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 6 15:16:04 CEST 2011

On 5 August 2011 at 23:19, Barnet Wagman wrote:
| Has anyone successfully installed rJava on Debian squeeze (or any other
| version of linux)?
|
| I keep getting the
|
|     ... (JDK) is missing or not registered in R
|

| error message when installing the package.
|
| I've tried running 'R CMD javareconf', setting JAVA_HOME and editing
| /etc/R/ldpaths by hand, but to no avail.
|
| The problem might be related to the R_JAVA_LD_LIBRARY_PATH that's set in
| /etc/R/ldpaths.  Does anyone know what it's supposed to contain?  I
| haven't been able to find any documentation on it?
|
| Searching the web, I've found many references to this problem, but no
| solutions.

a) Did you try 'sudo apt-get install r-cran-rjava'  ?  This is after all
   packaged in Debian

b) The Debian rjava package has 'openjdk-6-jdk' in its Build-Depends, do you
   have that installed if you try to build from source?

c) Next time please post on r-sig-debian.

Dirk

--
Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com