[R] How to estimate confidential intervals for the derivatives of cubic smoothing spline

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Sat Aug 6 07:38:02 CEST 2011

If you can put up with using gam in package mgcv to fit your splines
then you can get SEs on the spline derivatives as shown in the final
example in the help file for plot.gam. (gam uses reduced rank smoothing
splines, so you may need to up the `k' parameter for the smooth terms to
ensure that the rank is not too small for your data).