[R] Loop: noob question

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:16:24 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Ken H <vicvoncastle at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>   And that should be it, as far as relevant reading
> Peter Daalgard's Introductory Statistics with R is very good if you do not
> know other programming languages.

I would strongly second this.  It is a very nice book.  What book to
read depends a bit exactly what your goals are---data manipulation?
Statistics (and then what kind)?  Programming?  etc.

For statistics beyond Peter Dalgaard's book, I like John Fox's Applied
Regression with Companion to Applied Regression (which uses R and is
also the 'car' package).

I have been pretty happy with Phil Spector's book Data Manipulation with R.

For graphics in R I would suggest ggplot2 by Hadley Wickham or lattice
by Deepayan Sarkar (they are both books and packages).

For programming I would look at S Programming by Venables & Ripley.

> Crowleys R Book is the Bible as it were, and is very very good. Electronic
> copies are available.

The R Book is very large, but it has some problems in my opinion.  It
uses some styles that are often okay, but can cause problems (e.g.,
using attach, using function names for data).  I would turn elsewhere
first.  All of the other books I recommended (except Data Manipulation
with R) are written by people who also develop and maintain R Core or
substantial R packages (i.e., they are experts in what they are
talking about).

Cheers,

Josh

--