[R] excel dates and times in R

bevare emma.raven at jbaconsulting.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 12:27:28 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am having some fun dealing with dates and times. My input is a excel csv
file with two columns with data in the following format:

date                                   time
25-Jun-1961                       04:00:00

i.e. day - month - year       hour:min:sec

I would like to have a single object in R that combines these and converts
them into a sensible R format (e.g.
ISOdatetime(1961,06,25,04,00,00,tz="GMT").

I have played with the function chron and also strptime but can't seem to
get them to work.

Can anybody help me out please?

Thanks

Bevare