[R] Clean up a scatterplot with too much data

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Tue Aug 2 11:53:17 CEST 2011

 Hi,

One solution could be to subsample the data, or jitter the data (give it
some random noise). A more elegant solution, imho, is to use a 2d
histogram (3d histogram is not a good alternative, I think it is much
better to use color instead of a third dimension). I don't think this is
easy to make using the standard plot system in R, but ggplot2 handles it
nicely. This would involve you needing to learn ggplot2, but I would
highly recommend that anyways :). An example of the plot I have in mind
can be seen at:

http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/stat_bin2d.html

Just scroll down a bit for some examples.

cheers,
Paul