[R] Odp: converting factor to numeric gives "NAs introduced by coercion"

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Aug 1 13:55:03 CEST 2011

Hi

> Hi,
>
> I have a dataframe that I imported from a .txt file by:
>
> skogTemp <- read.delim2("Skogaryd_shoot_data.txt", header=TRUE,
fill=TRUE)

> and the data are factors, how can avoid factors from the beginning?
Although
> the file contains both characters and numbers.

You have got an answer but here are some comments. If you have characters
and numbers in one column the character values are converted to NA by
as.numeric

> I tried to convert some of the columns from factor to numeric and as I
> understood it you can not use only as.numeric but as.character first. I
got
> this warning message:
>
> > skogTemp_1 <- as.numeric(as.character(skogTemp_1[,2:4]))
> Warning message:
> NAs introduced by coercion

What is skogTemp_1? I presume skogTemp is data frame and in that case you
can not use such construction directly.

> I have lots of NAs in my data. Tries to check what class I had now but
> another warning is given me:
> > class(skogTemp_1[,2])

skogTemp_1 is probably a vector with only one dimension therefore you get
this error.
class(skogTemp_1)

shall give you the desired result, however I prefer

?str

Regards
Petr