[R] setting options only inside functions

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Apr 29 23:41:49 CEST 2011

Luke,

  A similar problem is that if optionsList contains an illegal
option then setting options(optionList) will commit changes
to .Options as it works it way down the optionList until it
hits the illegal option, when it throws an error.  Then the
following on.exit is never called (it wouldn't have the output
of options(optionList) to work on if it were called) and the
initial settings in optionList stick around forever.  E.g.,

  > withOptions <- function(optionList, expr) {
  +     oldOpt <- options(optionList)
  +     on.exit(options(oldOpt))
  +     expr
  + }
  > getOption("height")
  NULL
  > getOption("width")
  [1] 80
  > withOptions(list(height=10, width=-2), 666)
  Error in options(optionList) :
    invalid 'width' parameter, allowed 10...10000
  > getOption("height")
  [1] 10
  > getOption("width")
  [1] 80

I haven't checked to see if par() works in the same way - it
does in S+.

An ignoreInterrupts(expr) function would not help in that case.
Making options() (and par()) atomic operations would help, but that
may be a lot of work.  options() might also warn but no change
.Options if there were an attempt to set an illegal option.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com