[R] fisher exact for > 2x2 table

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 23:20:26 CEST 2011

Rob--

Your biostatistician has not disagreed with the rest of us about anything
except for his preferred name for the test.  He wants to call it the
Freeman-Halton test, some people call it the Fisher-Freeman-Halton test,
but most people call it the Fisher Exact test -- all are the same test.
When he was "adamant you could not do > 2x2", what he was being adamant
about was the name you should use when referring to the test for tables
larger than 2x2.  Why he was doing that, I don't know, but I think it is
silly -- he confused you and the rest of us.

He goes on to tell you that to get the Freeman-Halton test in SAS, you use
"tables a * b / fisher".  In other words, SAS calls the test "Fisher"
instead of calling it Freeman-Halton.  R also calls it "Fisher" and not
Freeman-Halton.  I'm like R and SAS and unlike your biostatistician, but
to each his own.

You say that he is "exceptionally clear on this point," which may be true,
but what is the point?  The point is that he prefers a different *name*
for the test than the rest of us.  Everyone agrees on the math/stat.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Minnesota Center for Twin and Family Research