[R] how to generate a normal distribution with mean=1, min=0.2, max=0.8

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:29:06 CEST 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Giovanni Petris wrote:

> Well, but the original poster also refers to 0.2 and 0.8 as "expected
> min and max", in which case we are back to a joke...

Well, he is a lot better with English than I am with Mandarin.  He seemed
to like the truncated normal answers, so we'll let those be his answers.

It is possible to choose parameters for a normal distribution with 500
observations such that the expected value of the maximum is .8 and the
expected value of the minimum is .2.  Obviously, the mean would be .5, not
1, but what would the variance then have to be to provide the correct
expected max and min?  That's another legitimate question.

Mike

>>> Jian-Feng,