[R] Pause the execution of a function

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 29 06:02:48 CEST 2011

On 29/04/11 08:56, Lisa wrote:
> Hi, Rolf,
>
> Thank you for your help. I am trying to use readline() and I have a question
> about the maximum length of prompt string. The R help on readline() says:
>
> “The prompt string will be truncated to a maximum allowed length, normally
> 256 chars (but can be changed in the source code).”
>
> I don’t know how to change the source code. Could you please help how to get
> this done? Thanks.

Well, if you don't know how to change the source code, don't mess with
it.  It's not exactly simple.

Why on earth would you want a prompt string longer than 256 characters
anyway?  It seems to me that you need to think more carefully and clearly
about what you are trying to do.

If you want to give lengthy instructions (lengthy instructions  are probably
a bad idea, but that's another matter) to users about what to key in as
input,
use cat() prior to the invocation of readline().

     cheers,

             Rolf Turner