[R] fisher exact for > 2x2 table

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:29:50 CEST 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, viostorm wrote:

> I have read the help page, or at least ?fisher.exact
>
> I looked a bit on the Internet I guess it is applicable to > 2x2.  I had
> spoken to a biostatistician here who is quite excellent and was adamant
> with me I could not do > 2x2.
>
> I found this:
>
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FishersExactTest.html

That page shows that the Fisher Exact test can be implemented on tables
with any numbers of rows and columns (so long as there are at least two
rows and two columns).  Your biostatistician just didn't happen to know
about this, but s/he shouldn't have been adamant when s/he was wrong.
Show your biostatistician the MathWorld page.

Mike