[R] Best Practices for submitting packages to CRAN

Singmann Henrik at singmann.org
Thu Apr 28 14:43:08 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I (and a colleague) have been working on our first package (for fitting a
certain type of cognitive models:
http://www.psychologie.uni-freiburg.de/Members/singmann/R/mptinr) for quite
a while now and have the feeling, that it is "good to go". That is, we want
to submit it to CRAN. However, I still have two questions before doing so
and would appreciate any comments.

1. How often is it appropriate to submit updated versions of your package?
Background for this question: Although we think we have tested the package
thoroughly, there are some errors that only pop up in daily use. That is, it
could happen that, especially shortly after the release, fixes need to be
released rather frequently (say, every 2 weeks). On the other hand, I know
that humans have to operate CRAN and their time is limited. Therefore, any
update will consume their time.

2. Is it necessary to put examples that take a considerable amount of time
to run (> 1 hour) into a \dontrun block? Background: We have a really slow
MCMC function. Some of the examples take ~1 hour to finish. If these
examples are run each time the package is checked, it will significantly
prolong the checking time. On the other hand, this check will ensure that
all changes to the function do not corrupt it.

Thank you for taking your time,

Henrik