[R] logistic regression: wls and unbalanced samples

Andre Guimaraes alsguimaraes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:54:06 CEST 2011

Many thanks for your messages.

I will take a look at the survey package.
I was concerned with the issues raised by Cramer (1999) in "Predictive
performance of the binary logit model in unbalanced samples".

In this particular case, misclassification costs are much higher for
the smaller group (defaults) than for the larger group (non-defaults).
However, I have no specific guidelines for how much higher. If I
understood correctly, using sampling weights would help improve
accuracy on the smaller group and, at least, I would be able to
explain the rationale for the different weights.

To cite properly, I was referring to lrm in the Design package
(Harrel, 2008). Sorry to have intruded the list with such question,
but - once again - thank you for your answers.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, peter dalgaard wrote:
>
>> On Apr 27, 2011, at 00:22 , Andre Guimaraes wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
>>>
>>> I am looking for advice / references on binary logistic regression
>>> with weighted least squares (using lrm & weights), on the following
>>> context:
>>>
>>> 1) unbalanced sample (n0=10000, n1=700);
>>> 2) sampling weights used to rebalance the sample (w0=1, w1=14.29); e