[R] Help with objects

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:20:47 CEST 2011

Russ Abbott wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would appreciate some help in understanding how to find out about objects.
> For example, to the extent that I understand R it seems to treat everything
> as an object even without declaring them as objects.

That's correct.

  Everything has
> attributes, for example, which are like instance variables in objects.

That's not quite true.  There are a few special kinds of objects which
can't have attributes.  The NULL object is the only one you're likely to
meet in regular code.

  In
> addition, there are S3 and S3 category objects.  Is there a good
> introductory description of how these are different from standard R objects
> and how they are different from each other?

S3 and S4 are layers put on top of the regular system for handling
objects.  S3 objects just have a class attribute, which causes some
functions to handle them specially; this is introduced in An
Introduction to R, and more fully described in the R Language
Definition.  S4 is a more complex system, partly described in the
?Methods help topic, more completely in the references listed on that page.

Duncan Murdoch