[R] random typing over text

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at wlandres.net
Sat Apr 23 23:56:40 CEST 2011

One possibility: If you using a laptop with a touchpad, and
a text editor in which the point of insertion can be moved
by clicking at a position in the text with the mouse, then
it is possible that as you type your wrist or the base of
your thumb is brushing the touchpad, and causing this to happen.

I have this very problem on one of my laptops. The touchpad
is over-sensitive, which causes the insertion point to move
unpredictably.

However, that would normally cause the additional text you
type to be inserted at the new place, rather than to overwrite
existing text. On those grounds, I think that Joshua's suggestion
is plausible -- if you were already inserting new text within
existing text.

On some keyboards, the "Ins" key is dangerously close to keys
you frequently use when typiing text (e.g. the "/" key or the
"Del" key). Then it is easy to accidentally hit the "Ins" key
and toggle from "Insert" mode to "Overwrite" mode.

But, as Joshua says, a definite answer requires more specific
information from you about what is happening!

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

On 23-Apr-11 21:11:11, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> You have not provided us with any of the relevant (or requested
> in the posting guide) information which makes it virtually
> impossible to give you any sort of useful answer (e.g., what is
> your operating system? what version of R are you using?  what
> are you using to write your script?).  I would use a search
> engine and search for keywords like "overwrite", "key", "the
> name of your operating system" or the text editor you are using.
> You may be looking for the "insert" key.
>
> Josh
>
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM, derek <jan.kacaba at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear R,
>>
>> When I'm writing script I probably hit accidently some hot key and
>> then the text in script is being overwritten by subsequent typing.
>> Please what is the hot key or how can I disable it?
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> Joshua Wiley
> Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology