[R] writing/appending a text file

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:09:40 CEST 2011

Collect the results in an object via 'cbind' and then write out the
results at the end of the test.  You did not mention how large these
vectors were.  You can 'append' to the end of the file, but you can
not add more columns to an existing file without reading it in,
'cbind'ing and the writing it out.  So it depends on how large your
result will be and if you have to use a relational database if it is
going to be several millions of rows.  A little more specificity would
be good; numbers always make it easier to understand the problem you
are trying to solve.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM, PBFrance <peter.banton at univmed.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm fairly new to R. I have a script which produces a 1-column vector
> (numeric). I can write it to a text file using the write command. What I
> want to do is to run the script a number of times on different input files,
> producing a different 1-column vector each time and save all the vectors to
> a text file so that each vector is one separate column in the text file. I
> had thought of appending each new vector as a new column in the unique text
> file, but I don't know if this is possible.
>
> At the moment, it looks like I will have to create a separate text file each
> time I run the script.
>
> --

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru