[R] Error in png: unable to start png() device

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 22 12:17:36 CEST 2011

On 21.04.2011 22:32, Patrick McKann wrote:
> I don't know if anyone is reading this, but I have more information now.  I
> can run the same script on my other computer over and over, change the
> height, width and res, and it works every time.  But on the faulty computer,
> I can open R, open the script, and run it and it works.  I can re-run it any
> number of times and it works.  However, when I change the height, width, or
> res settings in the function, I get the error message.  From that point on,
> even if I change the height, width, or res back to what worked before, it
> will no longer run and I get the error message.  I can only get it to run
> again by shutting down the program, re-opening R and the script, and running
> it again.  This is just bizarre to me and I have no idea why I am having
> this problem.  Thanks if you are still reading, and I welcome any input.
> I'm not very technically savvy, but I am running it on Windows XP Pro
> Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

The following works for me:

 > png("test.png", width=50000, height=50000, res=1000)
Error in png("test.png", width = 50000, height = 50000, res = 1000) :
   unable to start png() device
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In png("test.png", width = 50000, height = 50000, res = 1000) :
   Unable to allocate bitmap
2: In png("test.png", width = 50000, height = 50000, res = 1000) :
   opening device failed
 > png("test.png",width=1000, height=1000, res=1200)
 > dev.off()

PLEASE do read the posting guide
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html and provide commented,
minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

- So where is your reproducible example???
- Assuming you are running R-2.13.0 (also unstated)???
- Why do you send html mails???

Uwe Ligges