[R] Residuals -- was: Rcmdr vs SPSS in hungarian

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 21 18:28:08 CEST 2011

Dear Bert, Jeremy, et al.,

I must admit to being mystified by this whole exchange, and not just because
part of it is in Hungarian.

First, as far as I can tell, the issue, if there is one, has nothing to do
directly with the Rcmdr package, which simply uses the rstudent() function
from the standard R stats package to compute studentized residuals. Second,
as far as I could detect, the studentized residuals that were reported by R
and SPSS were the same to the number of decimal places given; I know that
others made this point as well. Finally, it seems to me that if there is an
issue, it must be entirely semantic, SPSS using the term "externally
studentized residuals" for what most people simply call "studentized
residuals." This too has already been pointed out. So where's the beef?

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster