[R] Location of libraries in Windows

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Mon Apr 18 09:22:24 CEST 2011

I'm preparing to install 2.13, so I need a clarification about package
location on disk.

On window the packages I have installed are under
C:\Users\mvalle\R\win-library\2.12
and the ones that come with R are under "C:\Program Files\R\library"

If I execute update.packages() from the R gui, it fails because it finds
e.g. Matrix as a package that should be updated
but the process cannot write under R\library.

I failed to change permissions for this directory (I tried hard...) so
I'm forced to run Rterm.exe as administrator just to
update packages.

I would ask if moving all directories (except maybe base) from R\library to
R\win-library\2.12 could be a "good thing to do". Or should I simply not
update packages that come with R?

Thanks for your help!
                                                         mario

--