[R] URL Scan

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 00:32:19 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM, jmsc <michaelfpage at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering why when I try to input data from the first site listed below
> into R using the scan() function, a different page is read in instead (the
> second site listed):
>
> http://data.visionappraisal.com/CanterburyCT/parcel.asp?pid=1242
>
> http://www.visionappraisal.com/databases/
>
> I am wondering if this is an issue with R or something in the source code of
> the web page that I am not familiar with. Since I can access the first site
> directly, I assume it is not within the source code. Any help would be
> appreciated.

 I can't access the first URL directly - even from my web browser
without R being involved at all. Is that "pid" a parcel ID that you
need to be logged in to see? Or not a valid parcel id anymore?

 If you want to access a web site from R that needs a login/password
then you need to send the appropriate login form info from R and keep
the cookie session info that gets returned. Web sessions from R and
from a web browser are independent.

Barry